This page has moved to a new address.

<$BlogTitle$> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Candle in the Night

Saturday, October 22, 2011

My Witness for Families

I went to Walmart today, two girls in tow, to pick up a few things.  As I was walking through the store, I saw a mom with four children who looked to be about 2, 4, 6, and 8 years old.  She was sternly telling one of the kids to hurry up, one of the children was hanging off the side of the cart, and another was crying.  Her hair was disheveled, she looked like she hadn't slept in days, and she wore jeans and a frumpy t-shirt.  The first thing that came to mind was "Wow, she looks like she's got more than she can handle."

The second thing that came to mind was, "Oh man, I look just like her!!"  Now, H was sitting quietly in the back of the cart playing with her doll and M was asleep in the front, but my appearance was the same.  I had on baggy jeans, a wrinkled long sleeved t-shirt, and flip-flops.  My hair was in a ponytail.  I had on no make-up.  I realized that anyone who saw me while I was running my errands probably thought I looked like I've been run over by my two children.

This really bothers me.  I have a family by choice.  Brian and I plan to have a large family by choice.  If I'm a mess every time I go out with my children, what kind of witness is that to the world?  There is already a movement today to diminish the family.  The basis of the breakdown of our country's moral system is the breakdown of the family.  When I go out in public looking like my two children are a LOT of work, I witness that having a family is a negative thing.

That stops today.  From now on, when I go out, I'm going to make sure that I at LEAST have on an unwrinkled shirt and a little make-up.  I want to be a witness to the wonderful thing that a family is.  I want it to show, not only on my face, but my whole self, that being a mother is amazing.  That being part of a family is completely wonderful and fulfilling.  Because it is!

Ironically, my friend, Caroline, over at The Modest Mom is doing a blog series called 31 Days of Femininity.  I've largely been ignoring this series (sorry Caroline!!) except for a few posts because I've been so busy.  After the knock in the head I got today, I plan to go back through the posts and utilize the information there.  Here's the link if any of you other busy moms are interested.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home