This page has moved to a new address.

<$BlogTitle$> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Candle in the Night

Monday, September 26, 2011

Fun with the Waffle Iron

So yesterday morning, I kept the girls home from church because chicken pox is going around and I really don't want them (especially M) to get it.  So for breakfast, I made a recipe my friend Angela talked about on her Grocery Shrink blog: Blender Waffles.  You have to check this out.  I know some of you probably use various grains other than wheat flour to cook with, and I have on occasion, but I've never ground my own grains thinking I didn't have a grain mill, so it'd be too hard.  In this recipe, you use the blender.  I made waffles yesterday by putting oatmeal and rice in the blender (with other ingredients) and blending for three minutes.  I thought it was really cool!  Check out the original recipe, but then note my changes below.  I can't say that any way you make it, they'd be good, but they were quite delicious the way I made them.  Light, fluffy, and sweet!  Yum!  (Oh, and almost sugar free!)
DSC00680.JPG (63719 bytes)

***I didn't have buttermilk or plain yogurt, so I used a single serve strawberry yogurt container with enough water added to make it one cup.

***As I said, I used oatmeal and rice.  I didn't have any brown rice, just white, so I used that.

***I didn't have a couple hours or a night to let it sit, so I skipped that part.  I think that left me with the grains being a little crunchy, but it wasn't too bad.  Hardly noticeable when drenched in syrup!  I'm definitely going to try making it up the night before next time.

***I didn't sift in the baking powder, salt and baking soda, just dumped 'em in.  They tasted fine in spite of that.

This recipe made almost five waffles and they were all yummy!!  I also think it would a be neat one to make with kids so they could see how different flours are made.  Fun and delicious!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At September 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM , Blogger Inklings and Notions said...

I love waffles, so I might have to try this recipe out.;) Especially since it looks like it's flexible.;) (I need more recipes like that!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home