This page has moved to a new address.

<$BlogTitle$> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Candle in the Night

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Time with My Girl: Banana Muffins

I wrote yesterday about how I plan to share ways that I spend time with my girls while still getting things done around the house.  Well, here's the  first answer to that promise.

H loves muffins.  Any flavor.  They could probably have broccoli in them and she would love them.  (I should totally try that!)  I think she likes the shape and the fact that I'll give her the whole thing and let her take bites out of them.  It might also be the fact that I like to put chocolate chips in my muffins, but that's beside the point.  She loves them.  

So a couple days ago, I decided to make muffins with her.  We have baked together before, but it's been in a very controlled environment.  I decided to make this a little more fun for her and try to let us both enjoy it.  The first thing I did was gather all the ingredients.  


This is important to do because you don't want to be walking all over the kitchen while your child is on the counter.  That could turn a fun project into a trip to the emergency room.  

H isn't quite old enough to stand on a chair and frankly, since my only counter space is a corner area, there isn't room for a chair there.  So I let her sit on the counter.  She's really good about sitting still.  



Then we started mixing.  I let her dump in the dry ingredients and mix them with a spoon.  I don't let her mess with the wet ingredients since there is raw egg in there and they're in the blender.  I would prefer she not lose a finger.  So she stirred, and stirred, and stirred.  




She ended up with flour on her toes and flour on the floor and into my mommy brain pops the thoughts, "This isn't going to work.  The mixture is going to be off.  There won't be enough flour.  I'm going to go crazy with all this mess!"  And then, I took a deep breath, laughed, took some pictures, and tried to show H how to keep it in the bowl.  





We had a blast and the muffins ended up delicious.  There was really no need to worry about any of it.  I think that was the important lesson I learned.  I grabbed the Dust Buster and cleaned up the floor and it wasn't a problem anymore.  I think that might be what I am learning through all of this.  Things that stress us out and we see as problems really aren't.  They are things that really can be funny and are there to be enjoyed. So what if there is flour all over the counter, floor, and both H and me. Who cares?  I don't.  And I'm having a great time with my daughter and she's learning and enjoying time with her Mommy.  

She's waking up now, so I've got to go, but I will share pictures later of her enjoying the muffins.  

I'd love to hear your stories of baking with your babies!  I'm sure there are some great ones out there!

Linking up with:




Photobucket

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At September 29, 2011 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Sariah said...

The hardest thing for me when baking with Cy is to NOT freak out when he messes up the entire kitchen! Try cake balls - soooooo messy - gooey but no eggs so she can get her hands all messy. It's a MESS but very good for their tactile learning and you can talk about it. What I have started telling myself (baking has become a 3 or 4 times a week type thing here because Cy loves it so much and I need to get it done anyway so I let him help) but I tell myself "I need to clean the floor anyway - it's time for a mop/sweep" lol - helps a lot! Now I look at every messy project as a way to clean up afterwards :-D That way I don't stress about the mess and I actually find myself making more of a mess myself BECAUSE I can clean afterwards and then mark that chore off my list :-) Happy Baking!!!

 
At September 29, 2011 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Nannette said...

You had a good idea having her only in her diaper. That way, she can't get her clothes all dirty and if things get too messy, you can just wash her off!

 
At October 3, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Jenn said...

What an awesome possum idea! I'm off now to bake with my little one. :)

 
At October 8, 2011 at 3:35 PM , Blogger April's Homemaking said...

I have loved baking and cooking with my kids since they were little as well, it is fun to let them explore in the kitchen! How fun :) ~April

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home