This page has moved to a new address.

<$BlogTitle$> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Candle in the Night

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Like a Child

I want to share with you a testimony today of hearing God's voice.

When I was in my first year of college, I wanted so badly to hear from God.  I had been close to God since I was a child, but I really wanted Him to speak directly to me.  I'd been studying the Word a lot and I knew that He still spoke with people.  I'd heard testimony after testimony of it.  So why not me?  I'd felt His presence many times, but I wanted something more.



I spent several weeks praying and preparing.  I spent a lot of time reading scripture and asking.  Then, one night, I felt I was ready.  I sat on my bed with the scriptures open in front of me and asked God to speak to me.  I decided to wait in the quiet until He did.  I sat for a long time.  It may have been 20 minutes, maybe an hour, I don't remember, but it felt like a long time for me.  I wasn't used to just sitting and waiting.

Finally, a scene began to play through my mind.  At the time, I was attending a small home church.  There were only a few families that met and we were very close.  One day, after church, a small child, maybe three years old, was outside playing.  She was walking on a brick wall that ran along the front of the porch.  The first time she walked the wall, I held her hand.  After that first success, she didn't want help anymore; she wanted to do it herself.



For apparent reasons, this made me nervous.  She was on a brick wall with bushes and rocks on one side and a concrete patio on the other.  I stayed as close as I could without touching her.

As this scene played out, I wondered what it meant.  Then I heard God telling me that I am just like that little girl.  There are many times when God wants to hold me and help me not to fall and I push Him away.  But you know what?  He's right there anyway.  Even when we don't want Him...when we want to do things ourselves, He is there anyway.

There are two things I learned from this experience.



1.  If we seek God and allow Him time to speak to us, He will.  I didn't hear an audible voice, but I knew it was Him speaking.

2.  God wants to have us near to Him.  He isn't pushing us away, we're pushing Him.  And even then, He's right there, ready to catch us when we fall.

Enjoy this post?  Keep in touch for more!
  

Would you like to receive the daily planner page I use to help me stay organized
absolutely FREE??  Just sign up below and I'll send you a link in the next couple days!!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
I often link up with these lovely bloggers...

PhotobucketWise-Woman-Builds
    
   Welcome Home Wednesdays   

Labels:

1 Comments:

At October 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM , Blogger TrixieJo302 said...

What a beautiful illustration of why we can't hear Him. I love this. Thank you :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home