This page has moved to a new address.

<$BlogTitle$> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Candle in the Night

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Modest is Hottest!


Over the past few weeks, I've been following Caroline and Amy as they have presented the She Wears Skirts series.  It has been very interesting for me to read these two ladies opinions on what modesty is, how to successfully dress modestly through wearing skirts, and how to make it practical on a daily basis.  It's also been great going through the reader comments and being encouraged to dress in a modest manner.  I must say my favorite blog of the series was Caroline's husband's guest blog.  It is great to hear a man's view on the importance of modesty!

I must confess firstly, I am not a full time skirt wearer.  Growing up, I might have been one of those who thought that people who wore skirts all the time were a little weird.  All the people I met who wore skirts exclusively were nice people, but I sure didn't want to be one of those people!  As I grew up and matured, I gained an appreciation for modesty.  I saw many girls who chose to dress immodestly and it really disgusted me for many reasons.  How was one to ever find a husband when all the guys' eyes were drawn to those who were exposing more skin?  For a while, I also chose to dress this way (although my wonderful parents refused to let me dress too immodestly!), but I eventually realized that this was not how I wanted to find my husband.

When I was in college, my family took a trip to Colorado.  My dad always bought us t-shirts on trips as souvenirs.  I'm sure we already had our shirts from this trip, but when we went to the Focus on the Family headquarters and I expressed interest in this shirt, he bought it for me in a heartbeat!


This was the time when my ideals were shifting.  If a guy didn't like me for me (and not for how much skin I showed), I didn't want him anyway!  I can't say that I immediately started wearing completely modest clothing, but over the years, I've found myself becoming more and more careful about what I wear.  

Skirts have never been the exclusive thing I wear, but I do think they present an excellent, modest alternative to many things you could wear.  Tight jeans and short shorts seem to be all that are on the market today.  Choosing to wear skirts in the summertime when it is hot instead was something I choose to do just to stay comfortable and feel modest.  

I must conclude by saying that I have gained an appreciation for "exclusive skirt wearers" over the past few years especially.  I go to church with many women who wear skirts, my brother-in-law married one, and I love each and every one!  I know there are women out there who would look down on me for not choosing to only wear skirts, but the women I know do not fit in that category.  I know that each of us are trying to be modest and I appreciate that so much!  

Below is a picture of me on Easter in one of my favorite skirts!  It was actually one that I found in the swimming cover-up department.  It's made of eyelet material, so I wear a long, white slip under it.  It is comfortable and I can wear it in the summer, winter, and even when I'm pregnant!  I have many more skirts I like to wear, but no pictures since I'm normally the one behind the camera!


Labels:

10 Comments:

At June 8, 2011 at 8:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree! Good post. :)
Elizabeth
P.S. Love your skirt!

 
At June 8, 2011 at 8:46 AM , Anonymous Gail said...

Thank you for sharing! I'm following the Link-up from Amy's! I must say, as I've been searching my heart on the matter of skirts it's nice to hear of someone who isn't a 'full-time skirt wearer'! In my head I've been trying to figure out how I would do it and not get caught up being legalistic about it! Now you have shown me it can be done! :)

 
At June 8, 2011 at 8:55 AM , Blogger Heather Hart said...

Great post, and I love your outfit :)

 
At June 8, 2011 at 10:02 AM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

Thanks for linking up Jessica! I loved reading your post, and learning of your perspective! It is a blessing to have you as a friend. :)

 
At June 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM , Blogger Raising Mighty Arrows said...

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful picture. :) I've definitely learned that there are more and more women choosing to dress modestly than we take notice.

I also did a post on this a few months ago: http://raisingmightyarrows.blogspot.com/2011/04/musings-on-modesty-part-2.html

Blessings,

Heather

 
At June 8, 2011 at 3:37 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Thanks for a great post and for sharing such a sweet picture!

 
At June 9, 2011 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! Thank you for the kind comments :) I loved reading your post, I can relate a lot a I went through the same thing during my college years. I look forward to getting to know you more through your blog! Have a blessed day, Meg <><

 
At June 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM , Blogger Canadagirl said...

You look very lovely in your skirt. And thank you for sharing all you did with us.

Blessings<><
-Mary

 
At June 10, 2011 at 11:35 PM , Anonymous Grateful for Grace said...

What a sweet family! I enjoyed reading your modesty testimony. blessings!

 
At June 15, 2011 at 11:33 PM , Anonymous Amy @ Raising Arrows said...

The skirt you chose to post here is lovely! I have an eyelet skirt as well that will fit...someday. ;)

It's been quite a journey, hasn't it? I'm probably in skirts 90% of the time now. And I actually do enjoy them much more than the beloved pants I didn't think I could ever give up. And my husband, who didn't seem to care one way or the other says he really, really likes the skirts I've been wearing b/c they aren't frumpy and boring. What a guy!

Thanks so much for linking up!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home