This page has moved to a new address.

<$BlogTitle$> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Candle in the Night

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings

Last night, I made chicken and dumplings.  Kind of.  Basically, I made a creamy chicken soup with biscuits to go with it.  It was delicious!!  I have made it twice before and had it be GREAT once and not so great the other time.  So I'm going to write down my recipe so I don't forget what I did for next time!  And I thought I'd share it with all of you while I was at it.  

Creamy Chicken Soup
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Can Milk (I used whole milk because that's what we had.  Don't know that this really makes much of a difference though.  It might have made it creamier.)
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
~1 tsp. Nutmeg
~1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 Chicken Breast cooked and shredded (I used leftover baked chicken from the night before.  I was kind of dry, so it worked perfectly in this soup!  Tasted moist and great!)


Whisk together first 5 items then stir in chicken.  Bring to a low boil for about three minutes.  Then, turn down to low and keep on low heat while you make the biscuits.  I cooked mine for about 40 minutes and it was great!  Watch out though...if you go TOO long or keep the heat too high, you'll end up with stringy soup.  Yuck!  But the 40 minutes on low gave the cinnamon and nutmeg flavors time to really make the chicken delicious!


Makes about 3 servings.



Wheat Biscuits
I used this recipe for my base recipe and just made a couple changes.  Here is my revised recipe.  
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 4 1/4 teaspoons powdered sugar (I was TOTALLY out of regular sugar!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk

  • In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg with milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  

  • Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured biscuit cutter. (I don't know what size mine is, but it's smaller.  I think this makes the biscuits easier to dip in the soup.  Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Makes 12-18 biscuits.  (Depending on the size of your biscuit cutter.)




I must say, this was one of the better dinners we've had of late!  Warm and savory!  Great for a rainy, chilly day!  

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 26, 2011 at 2:22 PM , Blogger Sarah Marie said...

That sounds deliciously easy!! How did the texture of the biscuits compare to Bisquick? I love how Bisquick biscuits rise and are dense and fluffy at the same time.

 
At May 26, 2011 at 4:00 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

The biscuits were actually surprisingly close to Bisquick biscuits. If I hadn't used half whole wheat, I think they would have been almost identical. They did rise nicely and were dense and fluffy. The flavor was just slightly different because of the whole wheat.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home