This page has moved to a new address.

<$BlogTitle$> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Candle in the Night

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Breaking Free of the Mommy Uniform (and a video!)

Ever get stuck in the "mommy rut"?  I know I do!  I wake up, slip into some comfy jeans or gauchos and a t-shirt, spend the day cleaning or cooking or changing diapers or shopping, kiss the honey when he comes home from work, and change back into my jammies.  I look like a mess most of the day, but it doesn't matter.  It's the Mommy Uniform, right?

The Mommy Uniform:
T-shirt
Jeans
No makeup
Ponytail
Shortly after M was born, I was at the store and I saw a mom with two young children.  She was dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt, her hair pulled back in a ponytail.  Her children were whining.  She had something spilled on her shirt.  I remember thinking, "Wow...she must not be enjoying this very much."  Then I looked down and realized I looked exactly the same way.  


I thought I had an excuse!  I was a new mom!  I wasn't sleeping much at night and I wanted to be comfortable so that any chance I got during the day to nap, I could take!  

But then I realized what I was portraying.  I didn't look like I was enjoying motherhood.  And that is absolutely false.  

There is an epidemic in our nation today involving people not wanting to be parents.  They don't want kids.  They're selfishly living their lives and planning to continue until their death in selfishness.  Now, this may seem a little harsh, but it's true.  We see women seemingly basking in their singleness.  Couples reveling in the "joy" of two incomes, a nice house, nice things, and no kids around to mess them up.  

And if people looked at you today, would they want to make the leap into motherhood?  I know in that grocery store on that day, if I'd been an unmarried woman looking at myself and that other frumpy, exhausted mom, I certainly wouldn't think twice about waiting several more years to have children of my own (if ever!).  Praise the Lord, I had great examples of moms in my life (including my own) who truly enjoy motherhood.  Not everyone has that though and I believe it is a calling we mothers have to share the true joy that comes from motherhood.  

There are several ways to do this, but the one I'm going to talk about today is to simply look the part!  Break free of the mommy uniform!  There are whole books written about motherhood, being a homemaker, etc. and in most of them, there will be a section about getting out of bed in the morning and looking the part.  Dressing for your day.  Putting on an apron so you'll stay busy.  Things like that.

Well, I'm a busy mom.  I don't shower every day and I don't do my makeup every day, but lately, I've been trying to spend 15 minutes or so in the mornings making myself presentable either for myself, my husband, my children, or all those I might meet as I go about my day.  Look the part of a woman enjoying motherhood and actually enjoying it will come easier to you.  

So...in spite of my reservations, I've put together a video of how I make this transformation in the mornings.  Yes, that means you get to see my frumpy, just out of bed look.  (Well, I do get dressed and wash my face first, but you get the idea!)  This is me with no makeup, no hair styling, nothing!  It's just me and how I go from droopy morning mom (who wouldn't mind looking like that all day) to a mom who looks like she's enjoying her life as a wife and mother.  

And I really do enjoy it!!  So why would I want to portray anything else??

Disclaimer: This is my first video blog.  I don't like the way I look, sound, or talk, but please don't make fun of me!  :)  


Before I go, I want to make sure you understand that...I understand.  :)  I'm not being judgmental.  In fact, today, I was in my t-shirt and ponytail until about 1:30 when the girls went down for a nap.  I'm not saying you should look like Miss America every day (or ever for that matter!).  I'm just encouraging you to give it a try.  If you've tried before and failed, don't give up!  Shoot for one or two days a week that you're out of your grubbies and into something that makes you feel confident.  You can do it, Mama!  

Enjoy this post?  I'd be honored if you joined us on Facebook, pinned to Pinterest, or shared via Facebook or Twitter.  Thanks for stopping by!

I often link up with these lovely bloggers...

PhotobucketWise-Woman-Builds
    
   Welcome Home Wednesdays   

Labels:

5 Comments:

At September 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM , Anonymous rachael said...

Good job!! What a nice post and good video.

 
At September 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM , Blogger Diane said...

You are too cute! Loved that you did it all while the girls were around; it showed how real it really was!
When David arrives, it will be harder again, but I know you'll do what you can ~ you're always beautiful!

 
At September 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Loved it and it was real because that's what happens when your getting ready kids are always hanging around. Thanks for keepin it real. I just found your blog from the better mom. And I am a new subbie for your youtube channel. Thanks for encouraging us. Blessings, Adrienne

www.lacedbygrace.wordpress.com

 
At September 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks, Rachael! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

 
At September 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

Yes, it's very real. :) Glad you found me!! Thanks for subscribing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home