This page has moved to a new address.

<$BlogTitle$> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Candle in the Night

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Life Cycle Begins

A friend at church gave us some polyphemus moth eggs in a little baggie a little over a week ago.  She told us they'd probably hatch by Thursday, so when Thursday rolled around, then Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I figured the eggs hadn't made it.  Well, today, I picked them up to throw them away and lo and behold!  There were four tiny caterpillars in the baggie!  I'm not sure exactly when they hatched as I hadn't looked at them in a few days, but here they are now.  I'm hoping they make it because it'll be a great experience for the girls if they do!

Here you can see two of the tiny caterpillars.  This picture makes them
look bigger than they actually are.  They're SO little!  

Here you can see the outline of a third.  I was so excited to see he'd taken
a bite of the leaf!!  Wikepedia (I know...not the most reliable site, but
I usually believe it on things like this) said that these caterpillars will eat
more than 86,000 times their own weight in two months!  We're going
to need a lot of leaves!!  


This is what those tiny little caterpillars will grow into!  Isn't it amazing?  I'm excited to watch.
Polyphemus Caterpillar (Antheraea polyphemus)
Photo Credit

And here's what they'll look like after metamorphasis.  God's design is just incredible!  
Polyphemus
Photo Credit


Linked up at...

Hip Homeschool Hop Button

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home