This page has moved to a new address.

<$BlogTitle$> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Candle in the Night

Monday, August 5, 2013

Learning to Trust



I've been reading Exodus and this morning's chapter was about when the Israelites received manna from God on a daily basis.  As I was reading, I began to think about what trust those with soft hearts must have come to have in the Lord God.  Each day, they were only allowed to take enough for that day.  No more.  They weren't allowed to store the food (except on the night before the Sabbath) and save it up for "hard times" or "just in case".  Every morning, they depended on God and God alone to provide their food.  And every morning, He did.  He never failed them.  For forty years, they relied simply on Him.

Photo Credit
It made me think about my life.  What do I have in my life that I must depend 100% on God to give me?  The obvious answer is, everything.  And yet, it's so easy to forget.  Every day I wake up, I'm breathing, the house is a comfortable temperature, there is food in the refrigerator, fresh water comes from the faucet, and the sun rises.  It's been that way my whole life.  Learning to trust God should be easy for me.  Each of those things is a gift from Him.  And yet it's so easy to forget.

It reminds me of one of my favorite songs.  Land of the Free by Andrew Peterson.



If you don't have time to listen to the whole thing, here's the verse that is the most powerful to me.  
Well I’m weary of the spoils of my ambitionAnd I’m shackled by the comfort of my couch.Well I wish I had the courage to deny these of myselfAnd start to store my treasure in the clouds.For this is not my home,I do not belong where the antelope and the buffalo roam.

'Cause I’m just a little jealous of the nothing that you have.You’re unfettered by the wealth ofA world that we pretend that’s going to last.They say God blessed us with plenty;I say you’re blessed with poverty,'Cause you never stop to wonderWhether earth is just a little better than 

The Land of the Free

May God be with you today and help you remember that everything you have is His and this is not your home.  I know that's a reminder I need daily!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At August 5, 2013 at 8:34 AM , Blogger Diane said...

Thanks, honey! Great thoughts!!

 
At August 12, 2013 at 4:19 PM , Blogger jviola79 said...

Wonderful post! May we come to the place where we trust Him each day for THAT day knowing that if He has provided in the past, He will provide again. He is faithful. I was your neighbor at The Modest Mom.
Have a great week!
Joanne

 
At August 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

Joanne,
Amen! And thanks for stopping by! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home