This page has moved to a new address.

<$BlogTitle$> <$BlogItemTitle$>

Candle in the Night

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What To Wear During Labor

During my last pregnancy, I heard several people talk about asking the hospital if you could wear your own clothes during labor.  I was of the opinion that that was ridiculous!  Why would I want to get my own clothes dirty, sweaty, and most likely ruined during birth?  I didn't bother to ask at the hospital and I didn't bother to take clothes to labor in.  When I got to the hospital, I wasn't thrilled with the gowns.  They're nursing gowns, so they have the slits in the front and they tie up the back.  What they do during labor is put two of them on you, one frontwards and one backwards so that you're covered.

This wasn't too bad at first.  I walked the halls and rested in them.  But eventually, the hospital gowns began to feel a little uncomfortable.  They twisted around me as I got in and out of bed.  They we hard to maneuver when I wanted to sit on the yoga ball.  Although I was wearing two, I still felt a little revealing.  I was always afraid the back was gaping open and putting me on display.  After having H, they were really hard to get in a good position for skin to skin contact and nursing.  Even though they were nursing gowns, when wearing two of them, it was just weird.  

So this time around, I decided to look for other options.  I found these Binsi skirts online and was really impressed by how comfortable they looked!  I thought, "Wow!  I could labor in that comfortably all day!"  I think they would be comfortable in all labor positions.  They are a little shorter than I'd like, especially with the slit, but I really don't think they're any more immodest than the hospital gowns.  I probably would have bought one except for the price tag.  I am NOT interested in paying $35-$65 for a skirt that I'll probably only wear a few more times.  

I thought about making a skirt, but since I'm not terribly good at sewing (especially without a pattern), and I don't have a lot of time on my hands, I decided to go a different route.  The thrift store route!  I went in search of a skirt that would sit under my belly for easy access to listen to baby, would be full enough for any checks that would need to be done and also so that I can walk easily, sit on the yoga ball, and lay in bed comfortably.  I also decided to look for shirts that would be easy to maneuver for skin-to-skin contact and nursing immediately following the delivery.  I also wanted something fairly short that wouldn't get in the way.  

I went to a thrift store thinking I would possibly find one thing and need to go to several more thrift stores.  I came out with two labor shirts, two labor skirts, and one other maternity shirt!  All for about $8.50!

Here are my finds!

In this first one, the shirt is a maternity shirt.  It's loose and comfy and could easily be lifted up or pulled down for skin-to-skin contact and for nursing.  The skirt is just a size XL skirt.  I wouldn't wear it normally because it hangs so much lower in the front than the back.  But I figure that during labor, I won't really care!  It's a very comfortable outfit.

This outfit is also very comfy!  The shirt once again is a maternity shirt.  It's nice and loose and could easily be nursed in.  The skirt is a large women's skirt.  It doesn't really look it here, but it's very full, so can be easily maneuvered in.

I'm not sure which of these two outfits (if either) I'll decide to labor and deliver in, but I like that I have options this time around.  I plan to labor at home much longer this time, and it'll be nice to have some comfortable clothes that I'm not really worried about ruining!

What about you?  What do you prefer to wear during labor??  

Labels:

6 Comments:

At July 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

With DD1 I opted for a size XL nightgown from Walmart. With this DD2 I am thinking a maternity dress from Motherhood Maternity that wears more like pajamas. I have one for day wear. I plan on getting a second for labor/pajamas.

 
At July 12, 2011 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Angela said...

I like both outfits but the second one is cute enough to wear to church :). I labored in a black knit skirt from Old Navy under my hospital gown (They insisted on the gown for all the iv's I had to have this time.) After my water broke, DH had me take the skirt off so it wouldn't get so wet. (TMI?) Anyway, it didn't show stains and was so comfortable. I didn't worry about showing my backside when walking the halls and my mind could focus on other things.

 
At July 14, 2011 at 8:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your blog! I wore an outfit a lot like your first picture. I labored and delivered in a lightweight knee length skirt from Old Navy and a simple tank top. My top did get a bit of blood on it from first contact but it washed right out with no problem. (I labored at home, so that might have made it easier to wear this the whole time.)

 
At July 15, 2011 at 7:21 AM , Anonymous Hannah said...

With both of my daughters my labor went super fast and I had strep-B so I had extra IVs making it almost impossible to labor in anything but the hospital gowns. I took a comfortable pajama pants and a loose comfortable shirt to put on after labor with my second daughter.

 
At July 15, 2011 at 7:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I did deliver at home my first time. Some thought I was crazy going that route with my first (knowing no one who had even had a home birth before) but it just seemed right to me. Now pregnant with my second, I am looking forward to it again. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

 
At December 15, 2011 at 4:01 PM , Anonymous Jan at J4C Home said...

Great ideas... I'm going to pass this along to my daughter, who is expecting. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home